How to Join
Joining St. Canice’s Credit Union is easy; just call in person to any of our offices with your photo ID, proof of address (dated within the last 6 months) and your PPS number (on official documentation) and a member of staff will go through the application process with you. Please allow at least 20 minutes of your time for this.
To open a junior account (for under 16 year olds), you need a birth certificate or passport, PPS number on official documentation, proof of parent’s identification, e.g. passport, driving licence and proof of parent’s address, e.g. current utility bill (within the last 6 months)
Membership of St. Canice’s Credit Union is open to anyone who lives or works within our Common Bond (as well as family members).
What is the ‘Common Bond’?
This is what unites all members of a Credit Union. The Common Bond defines the geographic area in which we can operate as a community credit union. Any person and their family members who are living or working in the area are eligible for membership.
In our case, it includes the following areas:
- Kilkenny city, Clara, Tullaroan, Kilmanagh, Danesfort, Freshford, Dunnamaggin, Aghavillar, Windgap and the townslands of Stoneyford and Ballyfoyle.
- Durrow area bounded by and including the following townslands: Glebe, Grennan, Raheenduff, Gurraun, Brandra, Watercastle, Stewartsgrove, Dunmore, Kyle, Coolderry, Ballacolla, The Heath, Rathmakelly, Ballygarven, Newtown, Ballynevin, Parknahown, Scrubb, Spaquarter, Bunlacken, Aharney, Archestown, Seskin and Ballynaslee.
- Ballyragget: The parishes of Ballyragget, Lisdowney, Conahy and Lismaine and the postal districts out as far as Freshford.
- Mountrath: The Mountrath area covering a six mile radius from the town including the parishes of Camross, Coolrain, Pike of Rushall, Castletown, Bandra, Kilbricken, Shean, Pallas, Ballyfin, The Oak, Ballyhupahaun and Curragh and also touching the edge of Portlaoise, Borris in Ossory and Abbeyleix.
- Rathdowney: The common bond covers a radius of 6 miles from the Bridge in the town.This covers the parishes of Rathdowney/Errill, part of Galmoy, Cullohill and Aghaboe. The common bond incorporates the Electoral Divisions of Ballybrophy, Clonmore, Cuffsborough, Cullahill, Donaghmore, Errill, Galmoy, Glashure, Grantstown, Kilcoke, Kildellig, Killernogh, Kilnaseer, Kyle South, Moneenalassa, Rathdowney and Rathsaran.
- Graignamanagh: This is the parish of Graignamanagh plus five miles on the Carlow side of the bridge. The townslands on the Carlow side of the bridge include Carrigleade, Tincurry, Bahana, Glyn, Ballymurphy, Ballykeenan, Harristown, Newtown, Ballyroughan, Tinnacarrig, Rocksavage, Seskin, Inch, Lacken, Clanagh, Mullanaskeagh, Ballyglisheen, Goolin, Slievedurda, Ballybeg Big, Ballybeg Little, Marley, Coolyhune, Ballyblake, Ballylyng and Aughnaglear.
- Callan: This is the parish of Callan along with the parishes of Ballingarry, Mullinahone, Dunnamaggin (includes Windgap), Danesfort, Kilmanagh.