Current Account & Debit Card
Finally, a real choice!
Our Current Account gives you a real choice for your day-to-day financial needs.
With instant access to your money through a Mastercard® Debit Card, a secure app and online portal and mobile functionality, you can pay your bills, withdraw cash and pay at point of sale; anywhere in the world.
Our Current Account is a full service current account. It’s more local, more trustworthy and has our commitment to a sensible approach to money. With low and transparent fees, it’s more of what you would expect from your local credit union.
The Current Account Debit Mastercard can be added to Google Pay and Fitbit Pay digital wallets, making it easier for people who prefer to use their mobile phone and/or Fitbit watch to make Contactless payments. The use of digital wallet payments provides a safer more secure way to pay that removes the need to handle payment cards, touch physical buttons or exchange cash. Apple Pay will follow early in 2021.
Features & Benefits
- Easy to sign up
- Same friendly service
- Globally accepted Mastercard® Debit Card
- Cashback available at participating retailers
- Contactless payments
- Overdraft available up to €5,000 *
- Transparent Fees
- No surcharge interest on overdrafts
- Automate regular payments using Standing Orders & Direct Debits
- Stay in control with our Mobile App, eStatements and eFee Advices
- Secure online shopping
- 24/7 support for lost/stolen debit cards
In order for you to receive a Current Account, debit card or overdraft, you must be one of our members and resident in the Republic of Ireland. If you are 16 or 17 years of age, we require the consent of your parent or guardian for you to open an account. Terms and conditions apply.
* Overdrafts up to €5,000 are available to Current Account holders aged 18 years or older. Lending criteria, terms and conditions apply.
Additional information for you.
- You can use your card anywhere in the world where Mastercard Acceptance Mark is displayed. Foreign exchange fees and charges apply where the transaction is performed outside the Eurozone.
- You can get cashback up to €100 when making purchases at participating retailers. You can also withdraw up to a maximum of €700 per day at ATM’s located throughout the country and abroad, (withdrawal limits at ATMs may vary).
- You can change your card PIN to something more memorable at most ATM machines. You just need to enter your existing card PIN and follow instructions at the ATM.
- If your card gets damaged, is lost or stolen you should call Credit Union Card Services on 01 693 3333. The Customer Services line is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at your standard network rate. Calls from mobiles may be higher. New cards will be issued to you on requests within 7 – 10 working days.
How to apply.
1. If you are already a Member with a CU Online Account – you can apply via your CU Online account. You will need up-to-date photo ID (Passport or Driving Licence) & recent proof of address (bank statement or utility bill dated within the last 6 months)
2. If you are already a Member but do not yet have a CU Online Account – you can sign up for a CU Online account or apply in any branch. You will need up-to-date photo ID (Passport or Driving Licence) & recent proof of address (bank statement or utility bill dated within the last 6 months)
3. You are not yet a Member and you live or work in any of the following towns or their surrounding areas you can join us in any branch & then apply for your Current Account and Debit Card. Kilkenny City, Ballyragget, Graignamanagh, Callan, Bagenalstown, Durrow, Mountrath, Rathdowney, Ballingarry. You will need up-to-date photo ID (Passport or Driving Licence) & recent proof of address (bank statement or utility bill dated within the last 6 months)
Each branch opening hours can be found here.
To set-up Google Pay and/or Fitbit Pay
Just download the app, enter your Debit Card details by scanning the card or entering the details manually, and submit a One Time Passcode. Use wherever Contactless payments are accepted. You simply hold your mobile phone and/or Fitbit device near a payment terminal to make a Contactless payment.
All you need to know
Introducing Current Account Brochure
Current Account Schedule of Fees and Charges
Current Account & Debit Card Terms & Conditions
Current Account & Debit Card Terms & Conditions – Effective 1st January 2021
Current Account & Debit Card – Schedule of Limits
Current Account & Debit Card – Disputed Transaction Form
Currency Conversion Calculator
Fraud Awareness Brochure
Shopping online is changing from January 1st, 2021.
Request an appointment to apply in branch or call back